Thursday 24 March 2016

Faster? Stronger?

Semana Santa here in Spain... Holly week that means... Most of the people already at their favorite holiday destination or at home relaxing and enjoying each others company... You know what this means for us cyclists???? ALMOST traffic free routes all over the place... I don't think I crossed 100 cars today in my 3+ hour ride...

Using this unique conditions I set out with a plan in my head... I was going to actually train..!! My plan? Since is almost impossible to ride around here without hitting a climb and this is great for me since I really suck at it I picked this climb to be my playground today..


According to +Strava this is a 14.5 km long climb with a 4% average gradient... Some places had more..


And some others has less....


But is a rewarding climb... As you heading for the top you can soak in this views around you..


And I could keep posting views like this for hours...


You wondering what the routes look like?


Nature and man made structures made up for a nice picture here...


This one was standing alone at the top of a rise in the distance.. A silo? A windmill? Great view..!


Don't we all hate those skinny, young and stronger riders?? This one was a gentleman and said Buenos Días as went by... OH..!!! This was the top of the climb.. Right there is the highest point.


After the las picture it was a downhill... I was trying to catch the guy that passed me at the top but I never saw him again... I am not a good bike handler so I use my breaks a lot coming down the mountains... So I got down to the town of Burgos.. There I decided to turn around and head home again.... Following the same route and trying to do better in this segment.. 35 km till we get home.

The routes offer a variety of bars and restaurants where one could stop for a refreshment, snack or even a full meal..!!


Other riders are polite as well most of the time so don't forget to wave or say Hola..!


Specially if you see this big guy suffering up a climb... Hola..! Hello..!


And getting back up to the Puerto the las Abejas... Port of the bees...Actually saw a few around...


After cresting over Las Abejas for second time started the loong downhill home... And I was in a mission to cut my time on the segment mentioned above.. Camera went in my jersey and didn't come out till I got home....

The ride home? fast downhills with lots of little leg breakers and some others that are categorized as category 4 climbs... Lots of sections that are flat or false flats.. I was trying to hold a steady heart rate at a tempo or high tempo pace.. (for me that is) I was doing well and could it be a bit faster if it wasn't for the head wind coming at me...

So by the time I got home what did I have? I had a lots of PR that are easy to get when you are new in an area.. So Strava told me my final numbers look like this.

And my legs where beat and tanned..!


Thanks for reading and sharing

See you next time

Pablo

The Weekend Report Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment