Thursday 27 August 2015

The Zwift Effect

Before you say another review about this let me tell you something.. "has nothing to do with it" OK maybe a little but is all part of the game...

Lets see in order to understand what is coming you should know that I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland and the weather here is well.... lets put it this way, is a good reason for everything to look so green, plenty of rain...
On top of that I did a lot of indoor training due to recovery from an accident, now that that is explained here is a picture of my numbers on the Zwift:


Is that a lot? Well there is others that did a lot more then I do some others less but let me tell you something this is or was enough for what happened next..

As every Saturday I decided to show up for my club traditional Saturday run, I woke up, had breakfast, went to the bathroom, pump my tires/tyres (will never get the difference on that one) filled my water bottles, kissed the kids, kissed the wife told the dog to get out of the door and said good bye to her too.. (spoiled little rat..!)

So I got on my trusted horse (Le Trek) she likes how she sounds in French go figures even my bikes have a personality..! Here is a pic of her:



As soon as i started to ride I noticed I was on the small chain ring, no big deal since when i come out of my house I have a 200 meter at 8% before I can hit the flats and jump to the big chain ring.. 
So I reached the flat part and it was time to get some speed up to be on time to the start of the ride, I am one of those that really dislike people that is late, but also understand that we do this for fun and we have to have some tolerance.. As I was saying... Time to hit some speed this means to jump to the BIG chain ring and start smashing the pedals.. OK here it comes, one click!, nothing..Uh? OK another click... What a ...? Nothing again... Is ok is only 3 km to the meeting place, high cadence and it will be a nice warm up by the time I get there..
So I made it to the church were we meet and right away started looking at what could possibly wrong??
As I was looking one of the guys told me from the other side.."Pablo!! Look at your cable..! What do you mean? I asked.. Look he said again.. Is way too loose.. Oooh that must be the problem..!! Easy fix..! lets tight it up..!
Now as I reach down to start making a bit more tight the cable I noticed that this is completely loose..Now this is not a normal sort of loose cable..
What was wrong you are asking by now? Look...:


The cable stopper snapped off the frame..!
How often you see this happening?
The guys at the shop never saw anything like it..!

So as any normal person would do I was getting ready to turn around and come home... I was upset at the fact that my bike was broken and I couldn't ride that morning.. I was not thinking clear..
good thing that others were :) one of the guys told me "just use the the screws and make it jump to the big chain ring with the regulation system..Great idea..!!!
How do you do that again? Remember I am upset, not thinking clear and I am not very mechanical oriented. 
Another jumps off the bike grabs a multi tool and regulates the screws till the chain jumped to the big chain ring.. Wet tighten the cables together with a rubber band and off we went for a nice flat 100 km and 700 meters of elevation..
I know I am not a normal person and my friends either right?

Now you want to know why I called this the "other" Zwift effect? I tell you..!
It was just to catch your eye and remind you that those little cable stoppers need to be clean and lube as well every so often if you are an indoor rider, learn from my experience or inexperience and keep them in mind.

Now fingers crossed I am waiting for Trek to call me back or the bike shop and see what they offer me, what would my options be? Is not a normal thing to break and they usually back their brand very well..

Till next time or adventure, 

Pablo Alves.

No comments:

Post a Comment